Rules for Using Question Marks and Exclamation Points

Rules for Using Question Marks and Exclamation Points



Use a question mark after a word or group of words that asks a question even if it is not a complete sentence.


Examples:


What did you do last night?

Will you put out the trash?

Okay?

May we go to the movies after we've finished our homework?

Are we?

• Use an exclamation point after a sentence that expresses strong feeling.


Examples:

Look out for that car!

I just can't stand the smell in here!


A word of caution about exclamation points to show strong feeling: Exclamation points are a little bit like salt on food. Most people like a little bit. Nobody likes too much.




•Use an exclamation point after an interjection-a word or phrase expressing strong feeling-when it is written as a single sentence.

Examples:

Doggone it!

Yikes!

• Use an exclamation point after a sentence that begins with a question word but doesn't ask a question.

Examples:

What a dunce I am!

How marvelous of you to come!

Practice

Choose the correctly written version of each of the following sets of sentences.

1. 
a. Help! I'm falling?

b. Help! I'm falling.

c. Help! I'm falling!

2. 
a. I can't believe how naive I was!

b. I can't believe how naive I was.

c. I can't believe how naive I was?


Answers
1- c
2- a